Jesus carrying our sins

Jesus carrying our sins
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends - John 15:13

My Redeemer Lives - Nicole Mullen

The anchor holds

Thursday, June 25, 2009

'I am watching my cholesterol'

I was walking through the dessert section in the grocery store the other day, and could have only looked at the many mouth-watering cakes, pies and other desserts but was afraid to buy any because 'I am watching my cholesterol'.

We're constantly reminded by the media and health magazines about foods we should avoid in order to maintain good health and a healthy cholesterol level. I could not help but wonder, if most of us should avoid these foods (with a high cholesterol, fat and sugar content), then are these desserts there for only the skinny, young and healthy. A lot of young people are now overweight, so maybe they're there for only those that are skinny and healthy. If we are told to avoid these foods, then why put them in our view where we can be tempted.
That made me think of when God put Adam and Eve in the garden and told them they can eat from every other tree, but not to eat from the tree in the middle of the garden. He gave them a choice. They disobeyed, and unfortunately we're all paying for their choice.
Genesis 2:9 - And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground - -trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Genesis 3:3 - But God did say "You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden and you must not touch it or you will die."

So too, we have choices. We can choose to stay away from those attractive and tasty desserts and be healthy, or we can choose to enjoy them and pay the consequences.

I don't consider myself overweight, but I can lose a few pounds. I try to avoid that section of the store. Life is not fair, is it? Why can't they make desserts for people who are 'watching their cholesterol'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artwork - Forest Creek (Order online)

Artwork - Fate Loves the Fearless (Order online)

All Posters - Artwork

Roses will bloom again - Sherri Easter

God will make a way